Tuesday:
The long
weekend was definitely nice to have, but coming back is always a good feeling.
I started math today, along with doing social studies. So I basically teach the
entire morning and then most of the afternoon is guided reading in small
groups. Practically I’m already full time except teaching mini lessons for
reading and writing in the afternoon.
I’m really
excited but nervous about all of this added on responsibility. I enjoy
teaching, there’s no question in my mind about that! I’m just nervous I wont’
be able to do it. I think that’s why today seemed so long! All I can think
about is the fact that I will be doing all of this on my own very soon! I’m
excited about it, but like I said, very anxious.
Today we
started regrouping in double-digit subtraction with math. I can’t be more
thankful for the fact that Andrea did not leave during this lesson! These
students need so much more one on one work than I expected! Another aspect of
the lesson was using base-ten blocks; which got very annoying after a little
while. Some of the students didn’t understand the purpose behind them for
awhile; they just kept playing with them! I suppose that is the risk we take
when we teach hands-on lessons!
I’m really
enjoying my placement here, and I’m very grateful for the fact that I get to
spend my entire 17 weeks with this group of students. They keep asking if I
will be working there next year by myself. The teachers are even starting to
ask if I’m going to apply! I suppose it wouldn’t be the worst idea in the
world. =) I really like this school, the staff, and the students! Perhaps I can
get some guidance on how to make myself stand out from different professors at
Trinity. =)
Wednesday:
Today
seemed like the longest day in the world! Andrea was even saying it, so we kept
trying to find things that could make it more interesting. The mornings always
fly by, but the afternoon seems to just drag on and on! These kinds of days
will absolutely drive me nuts when I’m alone teaching. At least right now I
have Andrea there to at least talk to; when I’m on my own I will only have the
students! Not that I dislike them, but it is really nice being able to work
with another adult.
In social
studies we are building communities and talking about how they change. One
thing I really like about teaching is that you can do it whichever way you want
to! I kind of tossed the book for the week, and created my own story and taught
the lessons that way. I included all of the important information, and the
students seemed to really enjoy it as well!
On an
unrelated note to social studies, I would like to discuss one student in
particular that really caught my attention today. This girl doesn’t speak much
English at all, she is from Puerto Rico and just moved here this year. Her
parents speak Spanish at home, and that is pretty much all she knows. Today she
was talking like crazy! It’s funny, because I will never tell her to pull a
chatterbox slip; I want her to continue speaking English and talking to the
other students! I don’t know what it was about today, but she kept volunteering
to answer questions and participate. She was also getting off topic with a boy
that sits at her table. Regardless, I was so excited to see this! So was
Andrea. I really hope this continues tomorrow.
Thursday:
This week
is just going to be long, and I have accepted that fact. =) Once again it
seemed like a long day, but that’s okay. I’m really enjoying my time with my
students and Andrea. It’s a lot of fun working here, especially with the nutty
staff for the lunch talks. You never know what kind of conversations will
happen in there, but I’m always entertained during lunch and I really enjoy
that time with the other teachers.
An update
on the young girl that wouldn’t stop talking yesterday: not as much talking
today. =( She did continue to participate, which is really good! But today wasn’t
anything like yesterday; we are hoping that another one of those days will come
again soon. It’s exciting to see how much she has grown just in the few weeks
that I have been here!
Another
student that caught my attention today was another little girl in the class.
She came up to me crying because she heard she was moving and really didn’t
want to leave. This little girl is in foster care, and her “auntie” said that
she would be moving in with another family soon. I’m not sure if this is
another foster family or if someone has adopted her.
I really
hope someone adopted her, and that she isn’t switching to a new family again.
It’s unreal what these students go through that I can never even come close to
understanding. They deal with so much more stress than any child should at that
age. If she gets adopted, I would be really happy for her as long as it’s a good
family. She is a very bright, creative, and fun student; she deserves a great
home. This situation reminds me of Matilda. I wish I were in a place in my life
that I could just take her home! I feel like I will run into similar situations
as this a lot as I continue my teaching career. Perhaps I’ll end up with a lot of children of my own! =)
Friday:
Ahhhh,
Friday. =) Although it was only a four day week, it seemed like the longest
week of the semester so far! The social studies unit went very well throughout
the week. I was also able to teach and record my TPA lessons! It was a week of
getting things done, and I feel very accomplished with that area.
However,
today was another stressful, kind of strange day. We had a lot of students
crying today for different reasons. One girl was absolutely hysterical after
lunch, so I pulled her aside to ask her what happened. I figured it would be
something that happened in lunch, someone calling her a mean name or something
like that. It was actually because her sister, for the past few days
apparently, has constantly been telling her that she hates her. Her parents are
in the middle of a custody battle between the two children. This student’s
sister is about 15 years old. I’ve met her previously in a meeting that we had
with her dad.
This entire
situation is very strange, and I can’t quite understand what is going on. I
just really hope that the older sister isn’t blaming her younger sister for the
fight. Just about a week ago, this student pulled me aside in the class and
told me her parents were fighting over her. That’s when I kind of figured out
that they were having a fight between who has custody.
Once again,
the lives my students have is unbelievable. I never had any thoughts about what
home I would be in next week, or if I would live with my mom or my dad, or know
what drugs did to people. The things these kids say are really unbelievable; I
just hope I can continue to listen and better understand what they are trying
to tell me. It’s definitely been a rough week, so I’m glad I have some time to
de-stress a little.
Classroom Confidential
I really
enjoyed chapter 8 in Schmidt’s book! I am a history minor, and making history
come alive is one of the main things we talked about at Trinity! Using
authentic pictures, postcards, letters, etc. can really bring a subject to
life! The simulations idea is such a good one, that I may have to use it in an
upcoming unit in social studies! I definitely did a lot of highlighting in this
chapter, and look forward to using some of the ideas.
Learning
through drama, similar to doing a simulation, is a great tool for any subject; especially
when it comes to elementary! They love stuff like that! Incorporating music in
any way that you can really helps students understand difficult concepts even
better; along with rhyme and poetry.
I have seen
a lot of hands-on and authentic assessments in my own placement. We use drama
and music regularly in our own classroom. For almost every science and social
studies unit, we incorporate a song to help them remember different aspects of
the topic! They all sing along happily, so there is no twisting of the arms
when it comes to this learning technique!
Stefanie, you should take it as a compliment when other teachers ask you if you are going to apply at that school. I think the best advice I could give you is to just do the best job that you can do at student teaching. Treat it like a calling (which it is) and not just a job, and remember that you are teaching children, not material.
ReplyDeleteI know you realize this since you talk about students like the one who says that she is moving. All you can do is show her the love of Jesus. Do you or Elaine contact parents when students like the little girl cry because of her sister hating her? Is there a social worker involved?
Wow. That is so unbelievably sad what your students are going through. I can't imagine that; it's definitely an eye-opener. As I start at Beecher this week, I'm expecting things to be a little different when it comes to home-life, but I really hope I don't have to come across any of those situations. That's definitley a tough spot to be in. I'll join you in praying for them!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about taking on everything when it comes to full-time teaching! You'll be awesome. The kids obviously love you (prolly cuz you're so much FUN!) and so does your teacher, so it will be great. It'll be a lot of work yes, but it also helps the days go by SO much quicker. I bet your afternoons will start to fly by before you even realize it.
I hope you're having a great week!! Talk to ya sooooon :)