Monday:
One thing I
must say is that I absolutely love coming to school every morning. Every time I
come here, I just feel like I can forget about anything else going on and just
focus on being with my students. So I must say that I am very thankful for this
placement, my cooperating teacher, and my students after today. They make me
smile every day I go in; even when they are being chatty!
Today we
had presentations for Social Studies about their dream jobs. A few of them even
dressed up for it! They went well,
obviously they were very short presentations; only one paragraph. If I were to
do something like this again, I think I would try and get more involved with
it. I felt like I didn’t prepare enough for this unit on careers, only because
there was so much I could have done with it! However, I am very happy with how
it turned out. The students even started their classroom jobs that they applied
for; everyone seemed very happy with the job they were given. =)
One thing I learned today, no
matter how much I think I know about the students, they never cease to surprise
me. Today I worked with one-on-one with a student while doing reading centers.
He always loves reading Mr. Brown Can Moo
to me; we still have yet to finish the book! This particular student has an
IEP, and they are considering moving him to the full time special education
program. Despite some of these setbacks, he is a very bright student. (This was
all context just so you can understand the type of student he is. =)
Anyways, today while reading with
him we came across one line, “very soft, very high”. All of the sudden he
stopped reading and told me “I don’t like this page.” I was really confused as
to why, the picture wasn’t scary and I had no idea what he was talking about.
So I asked him to explain, and basically his explanation was along the lines of
high means it gets smoky and my mom and auntie are sometimes in the back room
screaming. My heart instantly dropped when I heard this, and he continued
talking a little bit about the situation. Sometimes his stories are hard to
follow, but the beginning of this one was made very clear. I feel like stuff
like this should be reported; no child should be experiencing anything like
this, especially so young! The fact that he was so upset by that one word makes
me so nervous for him. I love each and every one of my students, and when I
hate to hear that this is going on at home.
Tuesday:
Special
surprise today was a shortened day! Andrea and I both had no idea coming into
school that it was going to be a SIP (School Improvement Plan) day. I didn’t
get to do much teaching because of this, and the day went by very quickly! I’m
very happy I was able to experience this day with all of the other teachers.
Basically what these days consist of is the teachers staying late to try and
find ways to improve the school by working and discussing together or in
groups.
The goal
for today was to find a mission statement for the school. The principal is
leaving after this year, and she wants the teachers to give their input on what
they believe the mission of the school actually is. I thought this was a little
odd that they were trying to figure out a mission statement towards the middle
of a school year so I asked Andrea. It turned out that they had already done this
earlier in the year, so a lot of them seemed a little annoyed that this was
happening again. I don’t want to get too detailed because I understand that
this is online for anyone to see. So, all I will say is that the thought behind
finding a school mission statement is very good! However, it’s my understanding
after today that usually principals help create mission statements. If they are
getting a new principal next year, I’m not completely clear on what the point
of this activity was.
However,
all of this talk about mission statements did get me thinking! This could be a
very good way for me to see which school or districts I would want to work in
by looking at their mission statements. The purpose of these is to summarize
what the goal is that the teachers and school are trying to achieve. I really
hope to be part of a school that is concerned about creating lifelong learners,
teaching 21st century skills, and empowering both the students and
the teachers. Along with this, perhaps I should make a mission statement for my
own classroom! I think that would be a good idea, just to keep the end goal in
mind throughout the year. =)
Wednesday:
Today I
took some time reflecting on what I can improve on to help ease the stress that
I’ve been feeling lately. Every single day, I feel like I come home absolutely
exhausted; but I continue working on either Trinity lesson plans or plans for
school. I think I may have found a solution if I have the responsibility to go
through with it! I really believe it would be beneficial to begin using my
weekends to start planning the entire week ahead of time. This way when I get
home throughout the week, I don’t have to worry about what I need to make for
the next day because it will be finished already! This is an optimistic
thought, but I think it might be a good one!
The main
reason I thought of this is because I always see how the other second grade
teachers are planning. Obviously they don’t have as much work to do because
they have taught a lot of these lessons for the past five years; but they
always plan for the week ahead! I never see them trying to figure out what is
going on tomorrow because they already know what they’re going to be doing.
Moving on
from planning, I worked one-on-one with a student again today. He struggles a
lot with reading, and today I learned something that I’m not quite sure how to
understand. While reading a story, this student will look around the room to
try and match the word in the book to a poster or song on the wall. He’s very
good at recognizing words, but he still is not sure of what the word is! I was
discussing this with Andrea, and she isn’t even sure what this means exactly. I
suppose it’s good that he recognizes the words, but that doesn’t mean he’s
improving reading. It’s a very strange coping mechanism that I have never even
heard of! Hopefully we will be able to figure more out as time goes on.
Thursday:
Wow! I
can’t believe how much I am starting to dislike party days! I mean, don’t get
me wrong; it’s very fun to celebrate with them. However, party days are so much
more stress and work than a normal school day. It was frustrating because the
morning, when we were supposed to still have a normal school day, all of the
students were already acting wild and excited. If someone can easily manage a
children’s party, then their classroom management skills should be recorded in
a book!
This
morning while teaching my social studies lesson, the kids were acting so much
more hyper and inattentive than usual. I felt like I was just doing an awful
job, but Andrea kept reassuring me that it wasn’t me, it was just the holiday.
Although it was a lot of stress, we had a lot of fun! The kids had an ice cream
bar, which I was very excited when I was able to eat one too!
One aspect
of the holiday that is very cute are all of the presents the students brought
in for us. A student actually told me that she bought her gift for us with her
own money! She was so excited to be able to give us something that she earned
herself. We actually had a very strange incident happen with a bag of treats
brought in by a student’s grandparent. They made very nice bags for everyone in
the class, but they smelled like skunk! Andrea wasn’t sure what to do and
whether or not she should send them home. She ended up sending them, but that
would be a difficult decision to make. The grandparents might be offended if
they found out, and other parents might be angry that you are sending a smelly
bag home. Hopefully no one gets too upset!
Friday:
I’m so
thankful the week is over! Not that I’m not enjoying myself, but it’s just been
such a long and busy week. So far, I’m starting to get a little bit bored with
not teaching the whole day. Now I’m starting to get used to teaching the same
things; so I am very excited and nervous to start teaching math next week! It
will definitely be a challenging week because we are starting double-digit
subtraction with regrouping. Andrea said they are going to struggle through this
a lot.
Hopefully I
will be able to prepare myself a lot for this unit coming up. It really makes
it difficult to teach concepts and strategies when some of the students don’t
even know their basic math facts yet. I know you can’t keep everyone behind on account
of four people; however, I really wish it were easier to differentiate
instruction. With math, it’s very difficult because we only have them for half
hour. If more time was devoted to math, perhaps we could take more time with
the students who need that extra attention.
This
weekend I am really looking forward to sitting down and trying to figure out a
new way to teach this. I also need to hear about what the best strategies are
for going about teaching double-digit subtraction with regrouping. Andrea and
the other second grade teachers are great resources for this. However, I am
starting to learn how to take their advice and combine it or change it into a
way that I can easily adapt it. This week has been very stressful, but I’m
really starting to feel more like a real teacher! =)
Stefanie, very interesting story of the boy's perception of "high." I think you should at least tell your cooperating teacher about this, and then let her decide how to handle it. But you are right that a little boy should not have to deal with this at home.
ReplyDeleteI love your idea of a personal mission statement. It would force you to think about what you really consider important, kind of like your philosophy of education. The problem with some schools' mission statements is that once it is created, they forget about it.
It took me about a month of teaching in my first teaching job before I could get to planning for an entire week. Once I did this, however, I never turned back. It's the only way to really survive as a teacher.
Planning during the weekends is the only way I got through full-time teaching and having to make 5 lessons for each day! It's definitely the way to go. Hopefully when you switch to full-time (you haven't yet right?) we'll be back to the rule of only needing to write one a day!
ReplyDeleteI still feel heartbroken after hearing you tell me about the little boy.. it's so so sad. Definitley makes you wake up and see that the world is completely different than what we have been grown up in. Praying for him and all your other kids!!
p.s. miss ya, see you soon?! yeah yeah!?
It is so hard when you have a student who tells you something like that. Even after you go through all the required actions, at the end of the day your heart just breaks. I've learned a few things that is so hard to leave at school at the end of the day.
ReplyDeleteOn a lighter note! I don't know about you but when I got some presents from my kids I actually felt like a real teacher! Odd how that's one of the things that defined the feeling, but when Mrs. Z. and I were sitting next to each other and we both got gifts it really made me feel like they saw me as their teacher.
I'm going to have to agree with professor on the planning thing. The first 3 weeks I was full time teaching I was going day to day. I had a rough idea of what I was going to do but not a concrete idea but this week I had all planned out and it's been such a relief! So once you get to that point it will feel a whole lot better.
Good luck!