Tuesday:
Unfortunately
I caught whatever bug was going around the school, so Monday I was sick. Now I
kind of understand how teachers feel when they come back from missing school.
It’s very frustrating feeling so behind, and it feels like you have so much to
catch up on just because you missed one day of school. Especially now that I
have been given more responsibility throughout the day, I almost feel like I
should have made sub plans for Andrea!
We kind of
started off my student teaching a little different than we realized we were
supposed to. I have been making my own lessons and teaching them, rather than
her writing them. Honestly, I think this has benefited me more than it would
have; so I’m definitely not upset that we didn’t read through it completely!
However, when I came back today she told me that she didn’t do social studies
on Monday. I had the guided reading book for the week for my two groups, so she
was unable to start reading the book with them as well. It was kind of exciting
to see me being there actually makes a difference, but at the same time I
realize that I need to send something in if I ever get sick again!
Other than
the difficulties of missing school, the day went relatively well. I worked with
the students more in social studies. Last week they all did research on their
dream job, today we took those notes and worked together on turning it into a
paragraph form. They did a pretty good job with this. It took them awhile to
figure out a good way to phrase the notes, but I learned that the best way to
lead them is through questioning. I’ve really been working on not giving them
the answers, but at the same time I don’t want to leave them in the dark to
figure it out on their own! It worked out well and nearly everyone participated
in helping form the paragraph, which I was really excited about!
Wednesday:
Today was
another fun day with Andrea. Yesterday I was still a little out of it just
because I still wasn’t feeling too great, but today was a complete turn around.
(I also had a five-hour energy before school, which helped a lot! =) We were
both having a lot of fun, but then the fun kind of stopped when a student said
something we both didn’t expect. During the middle of a lesson, one of our
students raises her hand and says, “Are we almost done with this? And why are
we doing this anyways? It’s boring!”
I really
had no idea what to do, and Andrea clearly doesn’t have to deal with it very
often because she seemed as surprised as I did. She had the student go move her
clip down on the behavior chart, and that was the end of it. But it got me
thinking, what am I going to do when a student says something like that to me?
I feel like there are a lot of different ways to approach it and I’ve been
thinking about it a lot today.
I could handle it the same way
Andrea did, and get upset and give that student a consequence for being out of
line. Or, I suppose you could try and work with that student and your class to
figure out why it seems boring. The main take-away from this, for me, was that
a lot of teaching has to do with respect. The teacher needs to respect the
students, and the students need to respect the teacher. I think the way this
particular student was speaking to Andrea was completely out of line, and
deserved a consequence. I’m glad I was able to see this, but I’m still a little
unsure of how to handle it myself. I suppose things like that I will learn with
more time and experience.
Thursday:
Today we
got a new student! Well, new to me. Apparently she was here the whole month of
December, but she did not have some medical papers in saying she was okay to be
at school. So this entire time I have been at this placement, I have not met
her. Which means she missed about a month of school, which is kind of
ridiculous. I’m not sure how a student would catch up after missing that much
school; however, she seems very bright and doesn’t seem to be far off from the
group at all.
Once again,
this situation got me thinking a little bit as well. If I have a new student
come into my classroom late in the year, what will I want them to know? Andrea
and I were talking about it a little bit, and apparently she found an idea on
Pinterest that, I think, is an excellent idea! Throughout the year, you put
important papers and things such as folders, notebooks, pencils, crayons, etc.
into a bag of its own. That way, if you ever have an unexpected student come
into the class, you will have something to give them and the parents right away
of what was important that they missed! I wrote this down so I wouldn’t forget.
=)
Today I
also got to teach a reading lesson about author’s purpose. It was a lot of fun,
and I’m starting to feel like a real teacher! The students did a great job
paying attention and participating, and I’m starting to see how to connect with
them in an appropriate way. It’s difficult for me sometimes because I babysit a
lot! While I’m babysitting, I obviously need their respect; but it’s a totally
different relationship in a classroom. I’m slowly starting to see how to relate
to my students in a better way. It’s hard not to treat them as if I’m
babysitting them, because they are all so cute! =) But I’m starting to be a
little bit more strict with them and I tell them my expectations before I start
almost every lesson. So far this strategy has been working out well; another
idea given to me by Andrea. =)
Friday:
Oh boy was
this an interesting day! So in the morning, Andrea was still in the classroom.
At 10:30, she left and a substitute teacher came in to the room. She informed
the substitute that she had a student teacher and that I would be doing all of
the teaching today and she could just relax. She was excited to have a nice
relaxing day, and brought in some crosswords to kill the time.
However,
the students still tried their best to take advantage of her; which I was very
disappointed about. I had students doing things they know they shouldn’t be
doing, but unfortunately the substitute was unaware of the rules and allowed
it. If I caught them I had a short talk with them about the situation. It was
kind of awkward with her in there, because she still seemed to feel like she
had to manage their actions while I taught. It was kind of frustrating because
I feel like it almost moved me backwards with gaining the students respect.
During one of my lessons, there was a lot of talking and I had to stop the
lesson very often because they wouldn’t stop. It was definitely a rough day
just with classroom management; I see I still have a lot to learn about that. I
talked with some of the other teachers and they told me not to worry and it’ll
come with more practice and time.
Today I
also had a boy refusing to do his work in class. I taught a lesson in social
studies about job resumes, since we have been working on jobs for the past
week. It was very simple, and they all applied for classroom jobs. He said he
didn’t want any of the jobs, even though I know for a fact he loves helping out
and volunteering in the classroom. Finally I told him if he didn’t finish it
now, he would finish it during “Friday free-time”. We worked on it together at
the end of the day, and after we were finished I asked him to stay and explain
to me why he didn’t just do it earlier so he could have been playing. He
basically said that he didn’t think he would get picked for any of the jobs
because he doesn’t think he’s good enough at math and reading to help the
class. So I explained to him that he was very good at leading the class
(sometimes leading them in ways I wish he wouldn’t!). But I was relieved to
find out it wasn’t anything personal about me; and I was also relieved that I
could show him that he has a lot of strengths in school. It was kind of nice to
be able to connect with him a little bit more and I’m happy he was honest with
me about it! All in all, it was a good week!
Classroom Confidential
Honestly,
this chapter of Schmidt’s book just reinforced everything I already thought
about parent-teacher encounters. It’s obviously very important to know about
your students’ home lives. Without knowing this aspect of them, you are missing
an element when teaching them! I really like how she hit every aspect of
parent-teacher meetings, with the fact that you can make an impression even
seeing them at the store! I’m kind of disappointed that I didn’t read this
chapter before the weekend. I saw one of my students at Wal-Mart, she ran up
and gave me a hug and I didn’t even see an adult in sight. I talked to her for
a bit, and then her mom came by and summoned her to leave. I wish I could have taken
advantage of that situation, but now I know for next time!
For actual
conferences, I will definitely refer back to this book. She has a lot of great
tips about cross-cultural meetings with parents that I may not have known
before reading this. For example, she talks about eye-contact and fillers like “yes”
and “uh-huh”, can actually be seen as rude to people! So I will hopefully remember
not to be offended if someone chooses to not look me directly in the eyes. =) I
also really like how she gives some helpful hints to go about parent-teacher
conferences, and important topics and information you want to talk about. The
main take-away from this chapter is that I don’t want to have awkward conferences
with parents, I want to be comfortable with them and somewhat informal so they
will be comfortable.
Stefanie, you are right that if you have responsibity for teaching, and you get sick, you need to send in sub plans. Keep in mind that your cooperating teacher is not planning to teach that day, so she needs your plans.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you considered how to handle a student who says that your class is boring. I guess the first thing to consider is whether the student is right. Is the class boring? I like the idea of finding out more, asking the student to elaborate. Maybe the student isn't doing everything she should to make it less boring, or maybe the teacher needs to find a way to make the content more relevant to the students.
It seems like you were assumed to be the one in control when the sub was in the room. I think that would also mean the one who would manage the class behavior. I think that maybe some of the behavior issues were a result of not knowing which teacher was going to handle it.
New students can be difficult. I had a new one after only a couple weeks and she is having somewhat of a tough time with it so I hope yours does a better job!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your students are doing to you what a couple of mine did with me. They would be perfect while my teacher was in the classroom and as soon as she left they start misbehaving. I know every student, classroom, and teacher is different but what I found worked was just letting them know that you are in charge. I even had to reprimand a few of them pretty hard. Again, that worked pretty well for me but maybe your kids won't respond to it. Good luck with it!