Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 13

Monday:

We started our new science unit on balance and motion today! I think the students are really going to enjoy it. There are a lot of experiments, and a lot of hands-on work. Most of science they had to figure out ways on their own to balance a crayfish on their finger. It was fun to watch, and I can tell they're all really excited about the unit; which makes it more fun and exciting for me too!
Today was pretty rough in the morning. I haven't had it yet where I really didn't want to go into school. It's not that I dreaded teaching, I just really wanted a day to relax and have to myself; plus the weather outside made it so that I wanted to stay in bed all day! Even though I knew it would be easy to call in I went, and I'm very happy I did.
There weren't any spectacular lessons today, but I just really love this class. I feel like outside of student-teaching there are so many changes going on. Graduation is coming, I just got enagaged and may be getting married in the fall... All of it is a lot to take in, but I can count on my students every day in my placement. =) It feels like the only place not getting me stressed out; well at least at this point in time. =)

Tuesday:
Another month has come and gone, which means another SIP day had to come. Today we had early dismissal once again to meet which other second grade teachers in the district to talk about Common Core. It was actually a very beneficial meeting. I got a lot of good information out of it, along with a simplified version of what the Common Core will require second grade teachers to teach!
I really like that Howe and Oak Crest work together to figure this out. However, there are two other schools in the district. I'm a little confused as to why they don't participate in these days too. I think it would be very beneficial to everyone if they were all able to meet. Communication between grades and schools in a district can really ensure that everyone is on the same page.
Once again we had another fun science experiement where they had to balance a pencil on a popsicle stick using wires and clothespins. It was exciting watching them figure it out on their own! It took some time, but they got there. =) I used to hate science, but so far this has been one of my favorite lessons to teach and work with the students on.

Wednesday:
Another substitute was in towards the of the day because Andrea had somewhere else to be. This substitute was much more relaxed than the last one I worked with. She understood that I had been their full-time teacher, so she really just kind of sat back. It was a relief because last time I felt like I had to kind of work to keep the students realizing that I was still their teacher; this time it was much easier.
The kids once again still tried getting away with different things that they knew were against the rules. I just don't understand that! It's as if they forget I have been there for a long enough period of time where I clearly know their expectations and their rules. It's kind of entertaining to see what they try and do, but at the same time I wish they were responsible enough to make the right choice on their own!
I really love these students and can't believe my time is coming to an end with them. Each one of them I feel like I have really gotten to know and learned to love. Some of them a bit more of a struggle than others to deal with every day, but that made getting to know them so much more fun! =) 

Thursday:
Today was a lot of fun, especially in science class! It's really cool because I have a lot of freedom to kind of do whatever I want with the topics we have to teach. We are still working on balance, but we didn't have set activities for today or Friday. So, basically I had the freedom to search around online and look in different books to see how I wanted to teach more about balance. 
I decided to do a balance with our body type of day. I made a little "spin-the-wheel" with different activities of balance on each one. So we would spin the wheel and figure out which activity we would have to do next. After each activity we talked about how it applied to what we have already been learning about balance. I was really impressed with their ability to connect our bodies to the different activities that we have already done! One of the students talked about how our body used itself as a counterweight. It made it so much more fun for me too!

Friday:
Andrea had meetings almost all day today, and it was DEAR day; a lot happened today! First of all, it was D.E.A.R. Day (drop everything and read). So for a half hour out of the day we literally dropped everything and just read. They had the option to read to a partner or a stuffed animal! Since it was D.E.A.R Day, they were also able to wear pajamas; which made them a little more squirrelly than usual. =)
Around 10:30, Andrea had to leave for meetings. There was a substitute in there until lunch at 11:10. However, after that I was pretty much left on my own! It was a lot of fun because most of the afternoon was fun D.E.A.R. Day activities. I really felt like a teacher because I was practically by myself the entire time; there were only a few visits from different aides and other teachers in the building to make sure everything was going well. 
I can't believe next week is my last week of full time teaching and then I start phasing out already! It's been a long semester filled with so many things I couldn't have learned any other way than experiencing it for myself. I'm excited to be done, but with it getting closer it's starting to become even more real. Only one month away! =)

2 comments:

  1. Stefanie, I can see that you are invested in these students and will have a hard time leaving. You described much of what happened during the week, but I would like to hear more about your thoughts on what happened. For example, when Andrea wasn't there, why do you think the students try to get away with things? What do you think you could do in situations like that? How do you think you could help them to be more responsible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those balance games sound neat! I can see why your kids would love them; I think they'd even be cool to use in my kindergarten class (not that we talk about balance at all in science or whatever, but yeahhh haha)You've got some fancy-smart kids to bring up the subject of counterweight-- that's awesome.

    ONE MORE DAY OF FULL-TIME!!!! Keep it up Miss Geer :D

    ReplyDelete