Tuesday:
It was exciting to finally come back from Spring Break! Even though it was nice having the down time, I was really looking forward to returning to school. I missed my class a lot! The first day back went surprisingly really well. I figured i would feel out of it a little along with the students; but we were all able to jump right back in!
In math we continued with time, and I was so surprised at how well the students remembered everything from being gone for over a week! Although we did have some time for distractions, I felt like we got a lot accomplished. We also had a Flat Stanley project over break which they all shared. When the students got very into the project, they turned out so cute! I absolutely love the idea of this project and will definitely be using it in my future classroom. (Even if I teach older students! =) Even I enjoyed doing the project and so did Andrea.
Along with all of the excitement of coming back from break, I had something a little extra happen that may have been cause for the good mood. I am now engaged, and have a lot of different things on my mind at school! Especially today, I had to tell the same story so many times! It was nice to see how the staff here really does recognize that I'm here with them and try and include me in a lot of things. I really appreciate that about this school. =)
Wednesday:
Today we started coGAT testing for the class. It is unbelievably boring, and I feel so bad for them because I know how frustrating it is! They don't have the questions in their packets, it's pictures instead. They have to listen to a question and choose the correct picture. This test is to see who will be in the gifted program next year. However, walking around I noticed that a few of the very bright students in the class were getting quite a few wrong.
This is one thing I absolutely hate about testing. First of all, some of the students that really struggle with reading aren't affected by this test and will do exceptionally well. Second of all, if they are not reading the problems themselves then I feel like that is testing their lsitening skills more than anything! I just don't really agree or like the way this test is formatted and the purpose of it. I don't feel like it's meeting the needs it says it will be.
Other than the tests, it was a rather normal day. They are finally finished with their autobiographies and they turned out pretty well. A few of them are a little sloppy, but they still look cute altogether! I love the fact that they can buy these. It's pretty neat when you're in elementary school and you have something published that you actually created. You can tell a lot of them are very excited about this. =) So am I!
Thursday:
Today was a pretty frustrating day. The students were very chatty and being disrespectful to one another. During one of my lessons, they kept calling out! I had to stop a few times to just to have them read Rule 1: "Listen when your teacher is talking" and Rule 4: "Raise your hand to speak or stand". They were just being very frustrating, it made it difficult to get everything done. I explained that to them a few times, and since they still kept calling out I brought the chatter box back. A few of them had to pull slips out and put them in the box because they just would not stop talking.
Later on during the day, one of the students brought me a note and asked me to help read it. It was the most disappointing thing I have ever read. Basically the note said "I think you are too bossy and mean and annoying. I would rather die than play with you. We are not friends." I seriously couldn't believe what I was reading, and the person signed it unonimus (anonymous). However, I have actually learned their handwriting pretty well so I knew who wrote it.
I took the letter then called the student over who I was pretty sure wrote it. I asked if it was from her, and at first she denied it. Quickly after, without me even saying anything else, she said that this other student kept telling her that she didn't have time to play with her outside because she had too many people to play with. I brought her out in the hallway and explained that I understand her feelings were hurt, but the letter was completely out of line. We continued to talk a little bit, and I had her apologize to the other student and explain herself. She started crying, so I think she got the message that the letter was inappropriate. I just can't believe that it happened, it was a bad enough day with all the chatting; then to end on that note! Hopefully tomorrow will be better. =)
Friday:
Today was a pretty simple and relaxing day. We finally wrapped up the time unit in mathematics, and I am so proud and impressed with my class! I have the lower group in math, and they proved that they can keep up with the other classes! In the final assessments, they did just as well or better than the students in the higher classes. I think I might have to tell them on Monday just to boost their confidence a little. =)
Other than that, the students were all pretty great. There wasn't much chatting going on today, and there weren't any problems in the classroom. I wish every day could be like this! We were able to go to the big community park across the street because they did such a great job. I'm really loving this placement, and can't believe I only have about 4 weeks left!
Stefanie, first, congratulations on being engaged. Blessings to you.
ReplyDeleteI think you handled the situation with the student note quite well. You confronted the student and had her apologize. The fact that she cried is a good sign. Did you also let the parents know?
Where is Classroom Confidential?
ReplyDelete:) yay for being engaged!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletetotally see what you're saying about the testing being boring. The gifted kids are probably getting so bored too that they just don't care about the test and are marking whatever they feel like without actually thinking about the questions.
sounds like a great situation between the two friends... yikes! I think you handled it well though. Hopefully you don't have to deal with that again!
I hope your week is going fabulously :) talk to ya soooon!